SUMMER MINISTRY ASSOCIATE
HIGHLAND UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
To Apply, contact: Rev. Dr. Lawrence Karow, SAFY@aol.com
Purpose: This position is responsible for providing ministry and supervision to young people utilizing our building during the summer hours, primarily the lunch and youth room areas.
Reporting: This position reports directly to the Associate Pastor and works closely with the Food Ministry Director and current youth ministry assistants. This position also consults and coordinates with Children's Ministry personnel and other church staff.
Duration and hours: This position will start at the end of May, and conclude by August 18, 2013. The start and ending dates are somewhat flexible, depending upon the needs and schedules of the person selected. The hours are anticipated to be 11 a.m.-6 p.m. on Weekdays, and Saturdays and Sundays as needed. There is no paid vacation time. There may be overnight trips involved as ministry needs dictate.
Qualifications: It is imperative that this person be a sold out disciple of Jesus. They should be able to demonstrate previous significant participation in their local church or para-church ministry setting. They should have experience working with children and youth. They should have a great work ethic. They should demonstrate creativity and a willingness to think "outside the box". They must be able to pass a background check.
1) Provide adequate supervision on a constant basis to the youth room during Twisty Grill hours.
2) Secure the youth room when there is no adult supervision available.
3) Create ministry opportunities for Elementary age children on a regular basis. Such programming might include story hour, arts and crafts, drama opportunities, etc.
4) Utilize Jr. and Sr. high youth of HUMC in creating and executing ministry for Elementary age children. This would involve planning and equipping youth for ministry, as well as mentoring and providing feedback to them.
5) Work closely with those already in leadership with youth at HUMC to improve the quality and creativity of summer youth ministry offerings.
6) Make connections with youth who are not participants in HUMC, inviting them to be part of HUMC activities and growth opportunities.
7) Worship regularly at HUMC during the summer months.